Monday 30 April 2012

Just Keep Writing ...

Life as a freelancer can be tough. You no longer get a regular pay check. You have to find your own clients. You probably don't have a marketing department to make sure the right people know about your services.

All of this can lead to a lot of stress.

If you find you're suffering from this kind of stress, if you find yourself questioning the value of your freelance journey, I urge you to remember one thing. Why you started on this path in the first place.

For most of you I would bet there's one reason, and one reason only, that you decided to become a freelance writer. It's because you love writing.

Writing has been part of all of my previous jobs - but one day I realised that writing for someone else, as only part of my job, wasn't enough. I wanted to write more. I wanted to have the freedom to write everyday. I wanted to indulge my passion and, at the same time, make a living.

It's a hard road at first. Finding clients is a challenge. I've been successful with a couple of different websites where people advertise jobs for freelancers. I decided to use social media to get the word out that I write. It isn't easy. It isn't quick. I am not yet making millions.

But because I am loving what I'm doing, life has taken on a whole new meaning.

So, if it starts to get you down. If you're tempted to get a salaried job, any job, because you don't think you can make it on your own, remember why you started. And write. And write some more. And keep writing.

When you don't have a client to write for, write anyway. Start a blog. Write a novel. Write some articles. Write a letter. It's all honing your craft and you'll be creating content that you'll probably be able to use in the future.

Just keep writing.

(If you really don't know what to write, comment on a blog post. Comment on mine!)


UE86FCTES5KY

No comments:

Post a Comment